- Specialist in various areas of corporate financial management and especially valuation of contingent claims and risky cash flows.
- Bankruptcy, Capital Structure, Governance, Law and Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions, Product Markets, and Real Options.
Publications in Refereed Journals|
- ''Financial Distress, Stock Returns, and the 1978 Bankruptcy Reform Act,'' with R. Haselmann and D. Schoenherr. Forthcoming, Review of Financial Studies.
- ''Capital Structure, Product Market Dynamics, and the Boundaries of the Firm,''
with R. Mathews and D. Robinson. Management Science, Volume 60, Issue 12, December 2014, pp. 2971-2993.
- ''Governance and Equity Prices: Does Transparency Matter?,'' with L. Gu. Review of Finance, Volume 17, Issue 6, November 2013, pp. 1989-2033.
- ''The Firm-Level Credit Multiplier,'' with M. Campello. Journal of Financial Intermediation, Volume 21, Issue 3, July 2012, pp. 446-472.
- NBER Working Paper No. 17805, February 2012.
- ''The Dynamics of Mergers and Acquisitions in Oligopolistic Industries,'' with J. Miao. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Volume 36, Issue 4, April 2012, pp. 585-609.
- ''Optimal Priority Structure, Capital Structure, and Investment,''
with D. Mauer. Review of Financial Studies, Volume 25, Issue 3, March 2012, pp. 747-796.
- Invited Paper, Foundation for the Advancement of Research in Financial Economics (FARFE) Conference, 2009.
- ''Liquidity Mergers,''
with H. Almeida and M. Campello. Journal of Financial Economics, Volume 102, Issue 3, December 2011, pp. 526-558.
- NBER Working Paper No. 16724, January 2011.
- ''Corporate Bond Credit Spreads and Forecast Dispersion,''
with L. Güntay, Journal of Banking and Finance, Volume 34, Issue 10, October 2010, pp. 2328-2345.
- Best Conference Paper Award, Swiss Society for Financial Market Research Meetings, 2009.
- ''Determinants of Corporate Borrowing: A Behavioral Perspective,''
Journal of Corporate Finance, Volume 15, Issue 4, September 2009, pp. 389-411.
- ''Managerial Traits and Capital Structure Decisions,''
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Volume 43, Issue 4, December 2008, pp. 843-882.
- ''Stock Returns in Mergers and Acquisitions,'' with E. Morellec,
Journal of Finance, Volume 63, Issue 3, June 2008, pp. 1213-1252.
- BGI Best Conference Paper Award (Runner-Up Prize), European Finance Association (EFA) Meetings, 2006.
- ''Can the Tradeoff Theory Explain Debt Structure?,''
with C. Hennessy and H. Leland, Review of Financial Studies, Volume 20, Issue 5, September 2007, pp. 1389-1428.
- ''Capital Structure, Credit Risk, and Macroeconomic Conditions,''
with J. Miao and E. Morellec, Journal of Financial Economics, Volume 82, Issue 3, December 2006, pp. 519-550.
- ''Corporate Finance Theory: Introduction to Special Issue,'' with I. Goldstein. Journal of Corporate Finance, 29, December 2014, pp. 535-541.
- ''Financing Decisions,'' with J. Gider. Chapter 21 in:
Behavioral Finance: Investors, Corporations, and Markets, H. Baker and J. Nofsinger (Eds.), 2010, Wiley & Sons.
Selected Working Papers|
- ''Corporate Investment and Financing Dynamics,'' with D. Sun. Coming Soon.
- ''Corporate Debt Maturity Profiles,'' with J. Choi and J. Zechner. February 2015.
- ''Financing Asset Sales and Business Cycles,'' with M. Arnold and T. Puhan. January 2015.
- ''Real Options and Risk Dynamics,'' with T. Johnson. December 2014.
R&R, Review of Economic Studies.
- ''Asymmetric Information and the Pecking (Dis)Order,'' with P. Fulghieri and D. Garcia. May 2014.
- ''Does the Dearth of Mergers Mean More Competition?,'' with B. Taub. January 2014.
Selected Professional Activities|
Current and Recent Teaching Activities|
- FE 821: Advanced Corporate Finance (M.B.A., Spring 2014).
- FIN 594: Advanced Corporate Finance (Ph.D., Spring 2013).
- FIN 451: International Financial Markets (B.S., Spring 2013).
Miscellaneous and Other Information|
- Hobbies: Bicycling, Food, Jogging, Skiing, and Yoga.
Boston University | School of
Management | Search
| Directory | Contact | BU Today