..:: Current ::..
Currently I am doing my Ph.D. in materials science and engineering at Boston University (graduation: May/2013). I worked on two main projects, both involved the study of high-temperature stability of ceramics materials under demanding environments.
First is developing a hybrid system containing an environmental barrier coating (EBC) and a thermal barrier coating (TBC) for protection of the SiC/SiC ceramic matrix composites (CMCs) . The EBC is a functionally graded mullite (3Al2O3•2SiO2) layer deposited by chemical vapor deposition (CVD), the TBC layer is yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) deposited by air plasma spray (APS). Second project invovles the study of membrane stability for an inexpensive and environmentally friendly electrochemical process to produce solar-grade silicon. A failure mode by the formation of "inner cracks" was investigated, a systematic study was carried out to understand the cause of the failure, and later the degradation was overcomed by a new flux design based on this work.
- Explore the viability and performance of CVD mullite as EBC on single crystal silicon substrates
- Computational simulation of stresses of TBC-EBC system using COMSOL and MATLAB
..:: Education ::..
PhD(current): Boston University / Materials Science Engineering
BS/MS: The Ohio State University / Chemical Engineering
..:: Work ::..
General Electric, Industrial-Quartz, Strongsville, OH
Technology Co-op, Research Assistant (June 2005 - March 2006)
- Assist in the CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition) technology team under Research and Development department, mainly focus on development of new products/process, constant interaction with engineering, manufacturing, maintenance, and environmental health and safety
- Duties include data collecting, data analysis, system design and testing, sample characterization, experiment running, vendor and supplier negotiations
- Establish safety and operation procedures for systems needed for research purposes. Investigate the new product properties with CVD process parameters for troubleshooting and process improvement.
Department of Chemical Engineering at OSU, Columbus, OH
Research Assistant (March 2005 – June 2005)
- Dr. James Lee’s research group; assistant Ph.D. students on research experiments, data analysis, topic on Effects of Nanoparticles on Polymeric Foams
Campus Dining Services, Columbus, OH
Student Manager, Student Cook Assistant, Student Service Assistant
Student Manager (January 2004 – June 2005)
- Ensure successful and efficient functioning of the facility; manage quality control, daily afterhours
operations management, full responsibilities of closing for everyday
- Manage the quality of large student staff (approx. 200 student employees), including: hiring and
training, payroll, decisions on all the promotions, proper rewards and effective discipline
Student Cook Assistant (April 2003 – January 2004)
- Assistant regular cooks on food preparation; close, clean and organize kitchen
Student Service Assistant (September 2002 – April 2003)
- Provided high quality customer service, ensured cleanliness and organization of the operation
..:: Teaching ::..
The Ohio State University - Chemical and Biomolecular EngineeringThe Ohio State University College of Engineering - Engineering Education Innovation Center (EEIC)
ChBE 801 (2007): Advanced Special Problems. Lab instructor, duties include: demonstrate and train a group of students who showed interest in nanoimprinting technology, assisted them on a term project
ChBE 521 (2008): Transport Phenomena II. Duties include: holding office hours, grading
homework/exams, manage online Carmen inputs, etc.Boston University - Department of Mechanical Engineering
Graduate Teaching Associate: ENG 181/183 (2008): The First-Year Engineering Program, Graduate students help organize and teach the laboratories and assist students in classBoston University - Division of Materials Science & Engineering (MSE)
ENG ME 419 - Heat Transfer (2010): Holding office hours, grading homework
ENG ME 306 - Introduction to Materials Science (2011): Holding discussion sessions, holding office hours, grading homework / lab report, lab instructor
ENG EK 408 - Clean Energy (2010): Holding office hour, homework grading