Education1987 - 1991: Ph. D. University of Reading, UK
1984 - 1987: B. A. Hons, Trinity Hall, Cambridge University, UK
Professional Background2006 – : Research Associate Professor, Boston University
2004 – 2006: Associate Professor, Boston University
2001 - 2004: Assistant Professor, Boston University
1998 - 2001: Research Associate, Harvard University
1995 - 1998: Scientist at the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences, Wellington, New Zealand
1991 - 1995: Research Associate, and Associate Research Scientist at University of Southern California
1991 - 1993: Visiting Research Fellowship at the Southern California Earthquake Center
- Vice-President, Seismological Society of America, 2007-2009.
- Elected to Board of Directors, Seismological Society of America, 2003-2006.
- Convenor of AGU Chapman Conference Radiated Energy and the Physics of Earthquakes, Portland Maine, June 2005. Co-convenors: A. McGarr, USGS, and H. Kanamori, Caltech.
- Member, NSF Geophysics Panel, 2002.
- American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting Program Committee 2000-2001.
- Co-convenor of Special Sessions at Fall AGU Meeting 2002, 2003 Associate Editor of Journal of Geophysical Research, 1999-2001.
- Member of the American Geophysical Union, the Seismological Society of America and the New Zealand Geophysical Society (Council Member 1997-1998).
Classes Taught at Boston University:ES360: Geodyamics I
ES660: Geodynamics for Graduate Students, runs in parallel with ES360
ES561: Mechanics of Earthquakes (developed)
ES505: Plate Tectonics (developed)
ES587: Seminar in Earth Sciences