1. Xiang Liu - “Anthracenes as Stereocontrolling Elements in Organic Synthesis” Defense: November 2008. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Yoshito Kishi, Harvard University.
2. Ya Zhou - “Exploration into the Preparation of New Heterocyclic Scaffolds for Library Synthesis.” Defense: December 4, 2007. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Craig Lindsley, Vanderbilt University.
3. Alexandra Hours - “[4+2+2] Homo Diels-Alder Cycloaddition and PtCl2-Catalyzed Cyclopropane Opening Strategy toward the Synthesis of Dolabellane and Dolastane Core Structures.” Defense: July 10, 2007. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Max Malacria, Université Pierre et Marie Curie – Paris VI.
4. Bin Ma – “Cobalt Catalyzed [4 + 2 + 2] homo Diels-Alder Chemistry and Application in the Formal Synthesis of (±)-Portulal” – Defense: Jan. 4, 2005. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Yoshito Kishi, Harvard University. Now Research Scientist with Biogen.
5. Grace H. C. Woo – “Inverse Electron Demand Diels-Alder Reactions of Imidazoles with Heterocyclic Azadienes and Applications in the Synthesis of Heterocyclic Natural Products and Scaffolds in Chemical Library Development” – Defense: Oct. 4, 2004. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Peter Wipf, University of Pittsburgh. Now Research Scientist with Merck-Boston.
6. Brian R. Lahue – “Inverse Electron Demand Diels-Alder Reactions of 1,2,4-Triazines with Imidazoles and Applications in Heterocyclic Synthesis” – Defense: April 3, 2003. Research Scientist with Schering-Plough, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
7. Rana Nomak – “Synthesis of a Regioselectively Protected Staurosporine Aglycone” – Defense: Sept. 24, 2001. Research Scientist with Amgen Inc. Thousand Oaks, CA. Now Assistant Professor at Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey (2004).
8. Amitav Sanyal – “Chiral Anthracenes as Diels-Alder/Retro Diels-Alder Templates in Asymmetric Synthesis” – Defense: August 28, 2001. Post-Doctoral Fellow with V. Rotello, University of Massachusetts. Now Assistant Professor at Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey (2004).
9. Yonghong Deng – “Isolation and Structure Determination of Bioactive Natural Products from Physena madagascariensis and the Design and Synthesis of 24-Nortriterpene Analogues” – Defense: Nov. 8, 2000. Post-Doctoral Fellow with W. Wulff, Michigan State University. Now research Scientist with Immunogen, Cambridge, MA.
10. Zhao-Kui Wan – “Imidazole and Indole as Dienophiles in Inverse Electron Demand Diels-Alder Reactions and Applications in Heterocyclic Synthesis” – Defense: November, 1999. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Yoshito Kishi, Harvard University. Research Scientist with Wyeth-Ayerst.
11. Yan Chen – “Transition Metal Catalyzed [2 + 2 + 2] and [4 + 2 + 2] Cycloadditions of Norbornadiene and the Synthesis of cis-Fused Bicyclic Systems” - Defense: January 20, 1999. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Dale Boger, Scripps Research Institute. Research Scientist with Theravance, Inc., South San Francisco, CA.
12. Lily Lee - “Inverse Electron Demand Diels-Alder Reactions of 3-Substituted Indoles: Studies Directed Toward the Synthesis of the Aspidosperma Alkaloidal Skeleta” - Defense: January 7, 1999. Research Scientist with 3D Pharmaceuticals, Cranbury, NJ. Research Scientist with 3D Pharmaceuticals, Cranbury, NJ. Now with Shire Pharamceuticals.
13. Lincoln Scott - “Isolation and Structure Determination of Bioactive Guaianolides and Other Natural Products from Cichorium intybus and Related Species” - Defense: July 2, 1997. Founder and Chief Scientific Officer, Cassia, LLC.
14. Jia-He Li - “Asymmetric Synthesis of Tanshindiol A, and Synthesis of the Canthin-6-one and 6-Azaindole Alkaloids” - Defense: June 17, 1993. Industrial Post-Doctoral Fellow with Parke Davis Research, Ann Arbor, MI. Research Scientist, with Guilford Pharmaceuticals, Baltimore, MD. Founder and President of Sinova, Inc.
15. Ping Cai - “Structure Determination of Bioactive Natural Products by NMR Spectroscopy; Synthesis and Identification of Neurotoxic Serotonin Oxidation Derivatives” - Defense: June 17, 1992. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Professor Herbert Kagan, Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine. Now Research Scientist, Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Pearl River, NY.
16. Mohammed A. Haiza - “Studies on the Asymmetric Osmium Tetraoxide Hydroxylation of Olefins” - Defense: April 1, 1992. Now Faculty and Associate Dean, King Saud University, Abha Branch, College of Education, Department of Chemistry, Abha, Saudi Arabia.
17. Shunichi Oya - “Chiral Resolutions Using Liquid-Liquid Partition Chromatography; Asymmetric Oxidation of b-Ketoesters with Benzoylperoxide” - Defense: Feb. 20, 1992. Research Professor with Professor Henry Kung, Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania.
18. Scott C. Benson - “I. Indole as a Dienophile in Inverse Electron Demand Diels-Alder Reactions, II. The Synthesis of Optically Pure Sulfoxides” - Defense: June 21, 1991. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Professor Alexander N. Glazer, Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, UC-Berkeley. Research Scientist with Applied Biosystems (Perkin-Elmer), Foster City, CA.
19. Xiaolin Zhang - “Structure Determination of Diterpene Alkaloids and Other Bioactive Natural Products by NMR Spectroscopy” - Defense: April 26, 1991. Research Scientist with Structure Chemistry Group, Abbott Pharmaceuticals, Abbott, IL.
20. Qi Cheng - “Application of NMR Techniques in the Structure Determination of Bioactive Natural Products from Eucalyptus robusta and Clavularia viridis” - Defense: March 1, 1991. Research Professor with Professor David Lee, Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA Medical School. Research Faculty, Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA Medical School.
21. Shaoxing Chen - “Molluscicidal Saponins from Allium vineale: Application of Modern NMR Techniques in Structure Determination of Bioactive Natural Products” - Defense: Jan. 23, 1990. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Professor Michael Kahn, Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois-Chicago. Research Fellow at Bioscience Center, National University of Singapore.
22. Junning Lee - “Synthetic Studies and Total Syntheses of Salvia miltiorrhiza Abientanoid O-Quinones” - Defense: April 10, 1989. Post-Doctoral Fellow with Professor Stephen Gould, Department of Chemistry, Oregon State University. Process, Schering-Plough, Kenilworth, NJ; Now Director of Processing, Theravance, South San Francsico, CA.
of Chemistry, University of Akron. Now with IER Industries, Twinsburg, OH.
Boston University Chemistry Department