GSO meeting minutes for Oct. 4 and Nov. 1, 2005
- Develop a mission statement for the GSO
- Get out the annual grad student survey
- Organization of GSO community service events
This year’s operating budget is $10,000
Travel grants are a separate budget. Fall apps are due soon – see website for details.
Travel grant winners should be announced by the first week of Dec.
Oct. 17 = deadline for Graduate Research Abroad fellowships – have long term and short term awards.
Early November: Pub night
Late Nov: Jazz brunch
Early Dec: social for leadership of all BU’s graduate student organizations, deans will be invited.
A series of talks is being organized.
Social events suggested: “Random dinners”
- Put GSO website at end of all emails
- Email out minutes, post archive on website, have a link to each dept. on the website, list open positions for GSO on website
- Need a publicity chair!! Will have an advertising budget for fliers, etc. to advertise GSO and its activities.
- Incoming graduate students: welcome letter or event by GSO, need a comprehensive orientation for new grad students – maybe GSO helps spearhead this?
- Other “get-the-word-out” ideas: develop a dept. email info list, have updated list of contact for each department, leave fliers at GRS office and in each department, recruit with the BU guide to living in Boston, ads in the Daily Free Press, etc.
- Survey will be posted soon, reps will compete for highest percentage resondees. Fliers will be sent to reps soon. Also 10 random surveys with names will be chosen to win $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble.
- How do we prevent FICA from being taken out in summer, and given to us in October?
Nov. 30: all BU grad student organizations have a social event, any volunteers or anyone who would like to come, contact Amber
Dec. 4 11-2PM, Jazz brunch in the BU Pub.