GSO 12-2-03 Meeting
Meeting with the Deans
Crediting payment on Student Account
– Didn’t know about the problem, is looking into it.
Cut off of $5,000 per semester
- no one in CAS is affected, which is why he made it that way
(Look at the Health Care Website-lots of interesting info!)
Quality of Health Care
– not worked on it yet, as the whole Presidential fiasco slowed it down
- Grad. Rep on the committee, too
- Fall 2004 the new “Dorm” will be ready
- 200 units: Studios and 1 bedroom, with a few 2 bedrooms at “market rent”
- Setting aside some for international students
- Limit residency to 1-2 years, so continues to be helpful to the new grad students
- Comes unfurnished, but rentals are available
- Graduate student’s Union fee earmarked for GSO? NO, will not do
- Do some fund-raising, but stay away from Student Funding
Continuing Study Fee
- Art History high
- maybe funding in-equities because have less TA-ships
- get data from other departments and schools
- Expressed our concern
- Graduate Student can be on the committee
- Owen will write a letter to make it official
GSO office is moving next semester
- Place to be determined
- As a TA – plan to take semester off
- As an RA – as funding is under grants, need to check with individual PI
- Is there an Emergency Fund to use for loans?
- Is it the same as the Wentworth Fund?
- What are her legal rights?
- Maybe have a GSO Emergency Fund?
- There is a $1000 advance that you can put against your Student Account, but can only do when school is in session.
- Looking at it to guide policy
- Good comments made
- Push it to the end of the semester
- Are being worked on
President – Postponing until January meeting
Gillian is going to do talk with people, and we’ll start a list serve for nominations and discussions
Vice-President – Dianna said she’d do it again
Treasurer – Fabian will stay
Social Chair/Publicity Chair – Shared by Amber Ludwig, Antje Lhlefeld (credit card person) and Stephanie Hequembourg
Recruitment Person – Kristy Townsend
Last thing-Dental Plan presented by Pedro
Delta Dental – High quality care and is willing to do it
30% of Graduate Students in CAS has to participate
pay 100% out of tuition
$24 individual, $61 family
$1000 max in coverage annually
Begins in July 1st-June 30th
New students start in Sept., end in May, can we change the date of starting and ending?
Needs to talk with BU now
They have to take it out of our accounts directly
Dental School here-is there going to be a problem
Need to do a Publicity Campaign to get the word out