- Goffman and Schutz on multiple realities, in Michael Staudigl
(Ed.) Schutz and Hermeneutics, Vienna Conference, 2008
- Alfred Schutz's influence on American sociology during his
lifetime, to be published in Cherry Schreker (ed.) Exchange and
Influence: Transatlantic Travel and the Development of
Sociological Ideas, Ashgate Publishers, 2010
- Helmut Wagner's contributions to social science, in Lester Embree
and James Dodd (eds.) The Golden Age for Phenomenology at the
New School for Social Research, Springer, 2010 (forthcoming).
- Ethnomethodology and conversation analysis at Boston University: A
brief history, In W. Leeds- Hurwitz (ed.), The Social History
of Language and Social Interaction Research: People, Places,
Ideas, Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 2010 (forthcoming).
- The correspondence of Alfred Schutz and Harold Garfinkel: What was
the "terra incognita" and the "treasure
island?," in H. Nasu, L. Embree, G. Psathas nd I. Srubar
(eds.), Alfred Schutz and His Intellectual Partners, Konstanz:
UVK Verlagsgesselschaft mbH, 401-434.
- Reflections on the history of ethnomethodology: the Boston and
Manchester "schools", The American Sociologist, 2008,
vol. 39: 38-67.
- Introduction and overview: Amidst the processual, in (Co-edited
with Gary Backhaus) The Sociology of Radical Commitment: Kurt
Wolff's Existential Turn, Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2007,
- The Ideal type in Weber and Schutz, in M. Endress, G. Psathas,
and H. Nasu (eds.), Explorations of the Life-World: Continuing
Dialogues with Alfred Schutz, Dordrecht: Springer, 2005,
- Alfred Schutz's influence on American sociologists and sociology,
Human Studies, vol. 27, no. 1, 2004, pp. 1-35.
- Types, typifications and membership categorization devices: Alfred
Schutz and Harvey Sacks on the notion of types, Focus
Pragensis III, Prague: Center for Phenomenological Research,
2003, 28- 51.
- The Path to Human Studies, Human Studies, 25, 2002, pp. 417-424.
Kurt Wolff: A brief biography, Human Studies, 2003, vol. 26,
no. 3, pp. 285-291.
- A conversation analysis of practices and competencies in
telefundraising (with L.L. Simmel, W.S. Siegal and
P.D. Berger) The CASE International Journal of Educational
Advancement, 2002, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 22-39.
- On the study of human action, In L.Embree (ed.) Schutzian Social
Science, Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999,
pp. 47-68. Re-published in A.S. da Silva (ed.), Sociologia Do
Direito: Na Pråtica Da Teoria, Curitiba: Jurua, 2007
- Studying the organization in action: Membership categorization and
interaction analysis, Human Studies, vol. 22, 2-4, 1999,
pp. 139-162. (Also published in Japanese in Culture and Society:
International Journal of the Human Sciences, 2000, Vol. 2,
- "Ethnomethodology" in J.L. Mey (ed.) Concise
Encyclopedia of Pragmatics, Amsterdam; New York: Elsevier, 1998.