Geng, Yanfeng (耿沿锋 )
Boston University 09/2008-02/2013
PHD degree in Systems Engineering (GPA: 4/4)
University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) 09/2001-07/2005
Bachelor degree in Automation (GPA: 3.7/4)
Software Develop Engineer at Audible.com (an Amazon Company) Feb. 2013 - present
Software and Control Engineer at Microcyber Inc., China 2005 – 2008
MOCVD Equipment Control System Development
· Established the control scheme for a six-piece-substrate Metal Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition (MOCVD) equipment.
· Sketched the control gist and programmed in the PLC layer.
Intern at Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories June 2012 – Aug. 2012
· Statistically analyzed huge amount of probe car data (millions of files). (C++, GIS)
· Built up a model to predict future travel time, using machine learning tools (Support Vector Machine, Linear/Nonlinear Regression, Kernel regression, etc).
Smart Traffic Light Control 2011 – Feb. 2013
· Used Infinitesimal Perturbation Analysis (IPA) method to solve the optimal traffic light control problem for a single intersection and multiple intersections.
· Designed a lab platform to imitate the real traffic light systems and applied our idea.
“Smart Parking” System Design and Implementation 2009 – Feb. 2013
· Invented a new “smart parking” system based on optimal parking resource allocation and reservation, and completed simulation and case study (C/C++) using CPLEX
· Solved the optimal allocation problem using MILP and Reinforce Learning methods.
· Deployed the system in a garage with our self-designed sensors and built a website and smartphone application for the “smart parking” system . (MySQL, C++, Java Script, HTML)
· Analyzed and learned driver parking behaviors based on data collected by the system
· This project was reported in the news and TV: NECN and Boston Herald.
Realization of RHC in Khepera III Robot System 2008 – 2009
· Implmented both Central and Distributed Receding Horizon Control (RHC) scheme in Khepera III robot to achieve cooperated control.
· Realized wireless communication among Mica2, Khepera robots and PC via Wifi. Designed security-guaranteed message transmit format. (Linux C, UDP)
2. Yanfeng Geng, Christos Cassandras, “Multi-intersection Traffic Light Control with Blocking", Journal of Discrete Event Dynamic Systems, To appear
1. Yanfeng Geng, Christos Cassandras, “A New “Smart Parking” System Based on Resource Allocation and Reservations", Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, pp1 -11, ISSN 1524-9050, Issue: 99., 2013
15. Christos Cassandras, Yanfeng Geng, "Adaptive Traffic Light Control", 51st annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, To appear
14. Yanfeng Geng, Christos Cassandras, “Quasi-dynamic Traffic Light Control for a Single Intersection", 52th IEEE Control on Decision and Control, To appear
13. Michael Jones, Yanfeng Geng, Daniel N. Nikovski, Takahisa Hirata, “Predicting link travel times from floating car data using geospatial inference”, 16th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2013, To appear
12. Yanfeng Geng, Christos Cassandras, “Multi-intersection Two-Way Traffic Light Control with Blocking Using Infinitesimal Perturbation Analysis", 2013 IEEE MSC, To appear
11. Yanfeng Geng, Christos Cassandras, “A new “Smart Parking” System Infrastructure and Implementation”, 15th Euro Working Group on Transportation, Volume 54, Pages 1278–1287, October 2012
10. Yanfeng Geng, Christos Cassandras, “Traffic Light Control Using Infinitesimal Perturbation Analysis”, 51th IEEE Control on Decision and Control, pp7001-7006, 2012
9. Yanfeng Geng, Christos Cassandras, “Multi-intersection Traffic Light Control Using Infinitesimal Perturbation Analysis”, 11th International Workshop on Discrete Event Systems, 2012
8. Yanfeng Geng, Christos Cassandras, “Dynamic Resource Allocation in Urban Settings: A “Smart Parking” Approach”, 2011 IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control, Denver, USA (Best Paper Final list 4/500+)
7. Yanfeng Geng, Christos Cassandras, “A New “Smart Parking” System Based on Optimal Resource Allocation and Reservations”, 14th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2011
6. Yanfeng Geng, Christos Cassandras “A “Smart Parking” Approach for Urban Settings”, INFORMS 2011 Northeastern Conference, May 2011 (Third Prize, Best Poster Presentation)
5. Yanfeng Geng, Kai Kang, Ji Liu, and Hong Wang, “Manufacturing Schedule of Dual-armed Cluster Tools Based on Heuristic Search”, International Conference on Industry Technology (ICIT), pp1-6, 2008.
4. Ji Liu, Yuechao Wang, Chuan Zhou, Yanfeng Geng, “A Navigation Simulation System of Lunar Rover”, 2008 IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control (ICNSC), pp556-561, Apr. 2008
3. Jujian Peng, Ji Liu, Yanfeng Geng, Jianda Han, Yandong Tang, “A Dynamic Stereo Matching Method Based on Epipaolar-region”, Chinese Journal of Computer engineering, ISSN 1000-3428, vol.24, 2008.
2. Lei He, Chuanjiang Luo, Yanfeng Geng, Feng Zhu, Yingming Hao, Reliable Depth Map Regeneration via a Novel Omnidirectional Stereo Sensor, International Symposium on Visual Computing (ISVC), Vol. 4841, Springer Berlin/Heidelberg, 2007.
1. Yanfeng Geng, Kai Kang, Hong Wang, “An Optimal Scheduler for Cluster Tools Based on Heuristic Search”, Chinese Conference on Instrument, Manufacturing and Control (IMC), Chongqing, China, 2007
2. Christos Cassandras and Yanfeng Geng: METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR DYNAMIC RESOURCE ALLOCATION IN URBAN SETTINGS, Application No. : 61/503,786
1. Michael Jones, Yanfeng Geng, Daniel N. Nikovski, Takahisa Hirata: TEMPORARILY CONFIDENTIAL
Honors & Awards
· Passed CFA level I, 2011
· Second Prize of IBM/IEEE “Smarter Planet Challenge” Competition, 2011
· Reported by NECN for the contribution in “Smart Parking”, 2011
· Division of Systems Engineering Traveling Award, 2011, 2013
· Honor Mention of Boston Sci. Poster Day, Boston University, 2010
· Graduate Teaching & Research Fellowship, Boston University, 2008-2012
· First Prize, Graduate Mathematical Contest in Modeling of Northeast China, 2007
· Outstanding Student Scholarship, USTC, 2001,2002,2003,2004